- 1 head garlic, top 1/4 inch cut off
- olive oil for roasting garlic
- 8 oz pancetta, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups 2 % Lifeline milk
- 8 oz Lifeline Vintage sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- In a large tinfoil packet, place bulb of garlic and drizzle with a good amount of olive oil. Cover loosely and roast in preheated oven for about an hour. Remove and let cool. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic cloves out, discarding the skin; set aside.
- Butter a casserole dish or cast iron pot; set aside.
- In a large saute pan, cook pancetta until crispy and all fat is rendered. Transfer pancetta to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook macaroni just until al dente. Drain; set aside.
- In same pan, add olive oil and shallots and cook until soft and start to caramelize about 7-8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring often, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add milk and cream and stir constantly until it thickens just a bit. Stir in reserved roasted garlic and stir until it breaks up and starts to dissolve. Stir in shredded Lifeline white cheddar. Turn heat to low and cook slowly until cheese is melted and sauce is thick and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mac and cheese to buttered dish.
- In a small bowl, combine parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs, melted butter and reserved pancetta. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until topping is crispy and golden. Serve immediately.